At the time people need to make an insurance claim people are often confused as to what steps to take. At Doyle Mahon Insurances we can look after all your claims needs on any policy you have with us. In this article we will outline some of the key things to remember in the event that you may need to make a claim even if it is not on your policy.
Dealing with Claims:
1. Disclosure – All relevant/ material facts must be disclosed to your insurer. For example: 2 Penalty Points, Previous claims. Read the Proposal Form and Schedule thoroughly and that these match the risk being insured.
2. Telling the Insurance Company– Early notification of a claim is vital to enable early settlement of a claim and will help the Insurance company to defend your position if needs be.
3. How much is my excess? – The excess is the portion of the claim that you are liable for and if this amount exceeds the claim estimate there is little point in claiming.
4. Recording Details – Keeping a record of incidents through photos, an accident book for a business, detailed accident reports with diagrams. Photos in particular are very useful in assessing a claim. Camera phones are perfect for this.
5. Never accept liability – Regardless of whether you think so or not, never admit liability at the scene of the accident, motor or otherwise. It is very natural to try and resolve a situation speedily by admitting liability, however incidents which lead to claims need to be handled very delicately and people must be cautious in these situations.
At Doyle Mahon Insurances we have significant experience in handling all types and sizes of claims. We make sure to negotiate the best outcome for you. If you would like to talk to us about receiving a quotation for you insurances please do not hesitate to contact us via the website or by phone at 053-9123630