With storm season here, taking a number of simple measures will help minimize damage to your property. Keep an eye out for any maintenance required or potential hazards on your property.
Check your insurance policy is current and adequate
Consider things like the type of cover (building insurance for home owners and mortgagees, contents insurance however is applicable for everyone). Consider also what level of cover you are insured for. Make sure that your insurance policy provides cover for the types of events specific to your location, these may include: flash flood, storm water runoff, associated landslip (or landslide) and damage to properties by trees.
Top Tips for Storms
- Check Roof tiles and slates are secure so you do not get water damage in the loft/roof space
- Check your aerial is properly secured
- Maintain your yard and balcony. Secure or store items that could blow around in strong winds
- Clean your gutters, down pipes and drains regularly to prevent blockages
- Trim trees and branches that could potentially fall on your home or property
- Stay informed! Listen to your local radio station and other media for weather warnings (Your local radio station will broadcast information specific to your area)
- Prepare a safe place for your pet(s).