If recent reports are anything to go by we may be experiencing a white winter in the months ahead! Here are Doyle Mahon Insurances top tips to help protect you and your home against the force of good old Mother Nature and how best to beat those winter blues….
Look after your home
There are a number of things you can do to make sure your home stays cosy over the winter.
- Clear out leaves and debris from your gutters.
- Insulate your pipes and water tanks to avoid bursts pipes and leaks.
- Get your boiler serviced to avoid a winter breakdown.
- Sweep your chimney to remove soot and grime from its walls.
- Be prepared for any power cuts by having torches at the ready
- *Money Saving Tip* A fill of oil at the moment is half the price as it was this time last year!!
Stay warm indoors
The tips below will help to keep you toasty without running up huge heating bills.
- Keep doors closed. Staying in one room as much as possible will help to conserve heat and minimise chilly draughts and heat escaping
- Save money and stay warm by stopping draughts in their tracks with curtains and draught excluders on doors and windows.
- Turn down the radiators in rooms which are only used occasionally.
- Move furniture away from your radiators to allow heat to circulate.
Be sure you plan any essential journeys well in advance, to ensure your safe arrival, don’t be in a panic and give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
Most importantly use your common sense, be prepared and it will be spring before you know it 🙂